Newly promoted Tranmere Rovers have an interesting badge history dating back to 1958. The first crest was simplistic with the letters T, R, F and C arranged around four quadrants.
The badge appeared on training tops and tracksuits however it wasn’t until 1962 that a club crest first appeared on their white strip. This was the coat of arms of the Borough of Birkenhead and featured the motto "Ubi fides ibi lux et robur" which translates as "Where there is faith there is light and strength"
In the late 1970s the coat of arms crest was replaced by a monogram style badge using the letters T.R.F.C
By 1983 another change saw a simple one colour crest featuring the letters within a quadrant and the football at the centre but, a much more elaborate crest followed only a few years later featuring the coat of arms, the Tranmere monogrammed logo and the central football.
This was abandoned for the current, simpler badge in 1997. It features the historically inspired images from the locality used previously, including an oak tree, a wavy-sided star, called an estoile azure and two lions in one quadrant and one lion in another.
The single lion is taken from the ancient family seal of Hamon de Massey who founded the local monastry, the other two lions represent Oxton, making Tranmere Rovers one of the few English clubs to wear three lions on their shirt
Apart from the addition of 125 in 2009, when the club celebrated their 125 year anniversary, the crest has remained unchanged.
Athough, according to the wonderful www.historicalkits.co.uk in 2018 Tranmere made the uncustomary decision to release a secondary crest, inspired by the previous monogram style which appears on flags and signs at the Prenton Park ground
You can buy our retro and reborn Tranmere Rovers t-shirts, polos, hoodies and scarves right here from Old School Football. Prices start at just £14.99 and delivery in the UK is free for orders over £20